Share on Facebook
Share on Linkedin
Email this link
VISION: WORTHINGTON IS LIVABLE
Worthington is a place that people come to for the amenities – like the schools – but stay for the sense of community. We focus on “livability” -- the sum of the factors that add up to a community’s quality of life—including the built and natural environments, economic prosperity, social equity, educational opportunity, and cultural, entertainment and recreation possibilities.
- We encourage diversity in housing choices throughout the entire City.
- We establish zoning that is designed with livability in mind; Worthington is a place for living cradle to grave, providing housing for all ages and incomes.
- We have creative approaches to commercial, recreational and residential development/ redevelopment to maintain and improve Worthington’s character and also with clear guidelines that allow quality development and provide certainty for residents and the business community.
- We want development and redevelopment that serves the evolving and diverse needs of our community and that is accessible, sustainable and balanced.
- We work hard to carefully maintain the right balance of business, residential and recreational land uses and celebrate our variety of neighborhoods that each have their own unique character.
- We strive for excellent schools so that students can flourish and future leaders can be developed.
- We support quality infrastructure (water, sewer, storm, sidewalks, roads, internet, etc.) for all existing and future development/ redevelopment (residential, commercial, industrial, recreational) and want to offer the best city services to residents and businesses.
VISION: WORTHINGTON IS WELCOMING TO ALL
Worthington encourages diverse populations of people to live, work and play here, regardless of age, race, gender, ethnic origin, income, religion and sexual orientation.
- We are welcoming and have a commitment to systems, processes, resources, government and employment that are accessible and clear to all who come to live, work and play here.
- We actively promote diversity and celebrate differences through events, education, publications, history and culture.
- We preserve what makes Worthington “Worthington” -- its engaged, passionate, civic-minded people- to maintain the character of the city, traditions, spirit and welcoming feel.
VISION: WORTHINGTON THRIVES
Worthington thrives because of the passion of those who call it home. We work together to build on our natural and built assets. We encourage economic development using an agreed upon development framework that is creative, forward thinking, diverse, vibrant and competitive, while preserving and supporting the community feel and history.
- We are focused on prosperity for all people living here, including employment opportunities as well as a variety of available goods and services.
- We have our own unique and creative way of doing development and re-development, and focus on setting our own identity.
- We strive to maintain the character of the city, traditions, spirit and welcoming community feel.
- We ensure Worthington has a sufficient tax base to maintain it’s quality of city services now and in the future.
- We recognize economic opportunities for the city provide vitality for all residents and visitors and education is necessary to assist with economic development. We believe those who choose Worthington should have the ability to participate in the process, be they residents or business community stakeholders.
- We have a good balance of land uses and green space, residential, commercial and communal assets.
VISION: WORTHINGTON IS NATURAL AND SUSTAINABLE
Part of Worthington’s unique appeal is “green” – the value we have placed on our parks, paths, and green spaces have resulted in one of the more beautiful and garden-like settings in Central Ohio. Our commitment to our natural environment extends to our desire to live sustainably, conserving our water quality, energy and other valuable resources. This mindset contributes to our well-being as a community and extends through our greater vision.
- We protect and preserve existing spaces, while applying creative implementation of parks and greenspace for all ages and abilities.
- We have sustainable practices codified and prioritized in design/planning.
- We promote intra-community coordination between the city, schools and non-profits for shared use of natural spaces, parks and recreation.
- We prioritize local food options and energy production.
- We focus on facilities and policies that prioritize walkability and bike ability, making us the most walkable and bike able suburb in the Columbus area.
VISION: WORTHINGTON IS FORWARD THINKING, COLLABORATIVE, AND PROACTIVE
Worthington continues to provide excellent city services with strong, collaborative, transparent communication and cohesive, flexible, decisive elected leadership.
- We set the pace for communities like ours; we’re looking ahead at challenges and addressing them, all while providing excellent city services.
- We proactively consider implications of our actions, like changing laws/ policies and economic development, to consider how they might impact our future and our livability.
- We are broader in our thinking about these items, using a creative, outside the box, holistic approaches to decision making, built on bridging differences.
- We proactively engage with the community, striving to make us all stakeholders in all projects. We are a model for coordination, collaboration and cooperation.
- We utilize all available communications platforms for complete transparency in governance process and provide multi-media access to education and information to strive for consensus building.
- We value cooperation and insist on robust communication between the City of Worthington, the Worthington School District and other local government entities such as business and community groups.
- We welcome the involvement of community groups and ensure they have accurate, timely information and context to ensure working towards the common goal of a better Worthington.
- We want respectful engagement, including the willingness to listen to those with differing views and providing opportunities for all to speak their minds.
VISION: WORTHINGTON IS MOBILE AND INTERCONNECTED
Worthington believes that walkability and bike ability are highly critical to our quality of life. We recognize the importance of promoting multi-modal integration for cars, bikes, buses, pedestrians and future forms of transportation to meet the needs of a diverse population and to promote community connectedness.
- We will be the model suburb for multi-modal transportation, promoting multi-modal integration for cars, bikes, buses and pedestrians.
- We will work to guide future investments in both changes to existing streets as well as new facilities that support walking and bicycling.
- We are focused on enhanced public transportation and related amenities for better connectivity, offering residents and visitors of all ages and abilities ways to get around Worthington besides traditional owner vehicles.
- We work together to provide creative transportation solutions for development and redevelopment.
- We strive to achieve 100% walkability with sidewalks throughout the entire City, repairing/replacing where necessary and installing new where needed.